Wednesday, April 27, 2011

tree


11:00AM-12:30PMaltering patterns
01:30PM-03:00PMaltering patterns, working on sketchbook
TOTAL HOURS: 1:30+1:30= approx. 3 hours

I had a large sheet of paper left over because I’m using one of the simpler variations of the pattern. I cut the left over sheet in half and then pressed them flat. The hem of the dress would normally fall just below the knee, but I want it to be floor-length so I lengthened the dress pattern. I pinned the half sheets to the bottom of both front and back patterns. I stared at the paper for a while trying to picture what would happen to the dress if I cut the edge of the pattern this way or that, but I decided that I wouldn’t try to get too fancy at this point because I’d only confuse myself. So I simply extended the line from the original pattern to keep the general shape of the dress but have it more elongated and exaggerated towards the bottom. I left the bottom edge of the pattern alone so that I could figure out what to do with it another time, and I cut along the new line that I had just drawn.


I wanted to take a break from the pattern so I took the opportunity to start working on my sketchbook. I also knew that if I didn’t force myself to work on it now I wouldn’t do it for a while. I had a bunch of different ideas floating around in my head that I needed to get down onto paper because it was actually keeping me up at night. I decided that I would begin by putting down the different elements I might want the final dress to have, and once I’m done hopefully all of the different ideas will come together rather easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment